Director of Business Development
Louisiana Central seeks a motivated, talented self-starter to serve as the Director of Business Development. This person will join a creative team of professionals dedicated to working together and with our partners to create more opportunities in our region. The position will support Louisiana Central’s business retention and expansion initiatives and lead our business recruitment efforts. The position builds effective collaborative relationships with state, regional, and local economic development partners. Key responsibilities include marketing key assets and sites in the region, responding to and completing requests for information and proposals, data analysis and reporting, organizing prospect visits, and promotion of state and local incentive programs. Position requires knowledge of the practice of economic development, including industrial, commercial and real estate development as well as the principles and practices of community development and coordinating aspects of a business location including zoning, development review, transportation, utilities, environmental considerations, and financing. Position requires travel (local, state, national and possibly international).
Primary Office Location: 1302 Murray Street, Alexandria, Louisiana.
Key Job Duties
● Actively market/sell the region to targeted prospects and site selection professionals. Coordinate and participate in economic development sales call, trade show, event, and conference activity.
● Respond to leads in a timely and effective manner.
● Pursue new leads independently.
● Maintain a comprehensive body of knowledge on Central Louisiana’s value proposition (competitive advantages, assets, etc.).
● Act as a key point of contact for prospects, in addition to managing potential and active projects.
● Prepare customized information and analysis for requests for information, company and industry presentations, and materials for lead generation activities.
● Produce data, information, and insights on target sectors, as needed.
● Ensure data is kept up to date, and work to ensure update processes are efficient and timely.
● Assist with existing industry retention and expansion initiatives.
● Maintain confidentiality of client, partner, and organizational information as required.
● Develop and maintain relationships with local and regional economic development partners, Louisiana Economic Development (LED), economic developers, and site selectors.
● Maintain awareness of state and federal legislative issues and policies that impact economic development and business growth efforts.
● Maintain continued education and certification in economic development and be an active member of local, regional, and national economic development organizations.
● Maintain inventory and data on all available sites in the region.
● Prepare regular reports to staff, management, board, partners, and the general public.
● Competitive spirit, confidence and tenacity
● Collaborative attitude and habits
● Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, but not required
● 5 years of relevant professional experience is preferred, but not required. Previous economic development experience is preferred. Without economic development experience, candidates should have experience in real estate, sales, public administration, finance, business or similar field. Knowledge of commercial real estate is preferred, but not required.
● CEcD preferred, but not required
● Experience with customer relationship management software preferred, but not required
● Organizational and project management skills
● High level of attention to detail
● Strong analytical skills and familiarity with different research methods
● Intellectual curiosity and willingness to quickly develop working knowledge of new subject matters
● Ability to synthesize information/data from different sources in a clear and concise manner
● Ability to work well under pressure and manage tight deadlines
● Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills
● Sound knowledge of economic principles/understanding of major trends shaping the economy
● Strong computer skills required. Advanced knowledge of all Google products preferred, but not required
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work-related driving, specified by support responsibilities.
Compensation & Benefits
Louisiana Central provides competitive compensation and benefits, based on each team member’s experience and qualifications.
Louisiana Central is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Louisiana Central, visit www.louisiana-central.com.
About Louisiana Central:
Louisiana Central, based in Alexandria, Louisiana, is the regional economic development organization for the 10-parish Central Louisiana region. We exist to grow the ten-parish region of Allen, Avoyelles, Catahoula, Concordia, Grant, LaSalle, Natchitoches, Rapides, Vernon, and Winn. The organization acts as a catalyst, leader, and connector to build a knowledge and innovation-driven economy so that our region will continue growing into a uniquely creative, inclusive, and entrepreneurial place.
We dive deep into four major areas: Industry Attraction, Retention, and Expansion; Entrepreneurship and Regional Innovation; Community Competitiveness; and Workforce Development. We prioritize ongoing communication and collaboration with prospects, existing industry, entrepreneurs, new businesses, government officials, and our partners in economic development, workforce development, and education. For more information about the organization and our work, visit www.louisiana-central.com.
About our Region:
Louisiana Central has a population of over 350,000 and consists of the 10 parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Catahoula, Concordia, Grant, LaSalle, Natchitoches, Rapides, Vernon, and Winn. Louisiana Central is where “Good Stuff” is made: Tide™ pods and tank cars, OSB sheets and aluminum handrails, electric substations and custom utility poles, automated pharmaceutical packaging systems and active anode material products for electric vehicle batteries. With a work-ready workforce culture like no other location, our region also offers a unique quality of life and low cost of living, community support, willing and supportive education, talent development and training partners, along with a continuously growing infrastructure and transportation system.